• Connect with us:
  • on Facebook
  • on Instagram
  • on Twitter
  • Login
  • U15’s successfully raid bank

    Bank of England U15s 12-33 Biggleswade U15s

    The Under 15`s travelled down to the furthest outposts of their league to face Bank of England at Roehampton on Sunday. Having been downed by the Londoners on our previous visit two seasons ago, we were apprehensive about the outcome, but given Biggy`s recent form, quietly confident.
    With only one pitch available due to heavy overnight rain in the area, the boys were rushed into an earlier than expected start after respectfully commemorating Remembrance Sunday with an immaculate two minutes silence.
    Biggleswade started brightly, pinning BoE back into their own half. Our territorial advantage was rewarded after a well worked line out. Jamie Taberrer took clean ball off the throw and fed the remaining forwards to set up a driving maul enabling Ben Yates to carry over for an early score in the corner. Biggleswade continued to press and were well on top in the early exchanges, only some uncharacteristic handling errors kept the away team at bay.
    With a narrow pitch to contend with, Biggleswade were rarely able to get the width needed to penetrate their well organised opponents. The home side coped well with any attempt to get width on the ball with an efficient drifting defence. It was a frustrating day for the backs, who struggled to see much ball. The stop start nature of the game being a contributory factor to this as both sides were regularly pinged for offside. A slick move that put Jack Weavers free was the best opportunity that came to the backs, only a stray stud or two onto the touchline prevented him from scoring after showing excellent pace down the left wing.
    Biggleswade continued to probe without any reward on the scoresheet, but deservedly extended their lead on the stroke of half time with some good forward play, once again from a line-out to go into the break 12-0 up. As is often the case, we came out with more verve in the second half and continued to take the game to the home side. Quinn Heath who had an excellent game at scrum half, fed the backs quickly and with Ollie Pike distributing well at ten, it only looked a matter of time before we added to the lead, but again the score came through the forwards as Ben completed his hat-trick, managing to fend off several defenders to score beneath the posts. Just when it looked as though a comfortable victory was on the cards, Bank fought back for a deserved score of their own to narrow the gap to 19-5. Wave after wave of Biggleswade attack came with Luke Howells constantly a thorn in the home team`s side with several rampaging runs through the centre, but the opposition defence who were technically good in the loose, held firm.
    Bank of England looked dangerous opposition with the ball in hand, but we managed to negate the threat with some excellent tackling and defence of our own. Lee Petitt had his normal superb game in the loose, also a special mention to Ashton Flaxman who put in some big hits and is improving every week.
    Even though we looked in comfortable control of the game, a BoE score could have made for a nervous ending for Biggleswade, but we continued to dominate the possession. A slick piece of interplay enabled Biggleswade to get a rare bit of width out wide. With a score seemingly a certainty, a stray high tackle felled the Biggy player. A conversion could have put us out of sight, but in search of a bonus point, Ollie kicked to the corner, from where we again mauled well at the lineout to close in on the Bank try line. A peel off the back saw Biggleswade put the ball down only for it to be adjudged to have been held up. The resultant scrum provided quick compensation with a pick and go from the base of the scrum providing a fourth try for Ben.
    The home side again responded from an attacking scrum, with some excellent footcraft from their centre proving too much for our defence to cope with. With the game now opening up a bit, Biggleswade were quickly able to respond through Kai Collinson who seemed to have powered over only for the ref to pull us back an give us advantage. Bank set up to defend the penalty through the middle channel, but quick thinking by Ollie saw him send the ball out wide to flanker Toby Moore who popped up on the wing to score a deserved first try of the season.
    Not a perfect performance by any means, with areas of the game to work on, but to go away from home and reverse a previous defeat was an excellent effort. MOM to Ben Y , final score 33-12, Ollie converting 4 from 5.